Dienstag, 2. Oktober 2007

From Aizu to Tsuruoka

The same day I went to Tsuruoka, which i read was the best stay on my way to Dewa Sanzan, the three sacred mountains: Haguro-San, Gas-San and Yudono-San, each holding a Shinto-Shrine.
I reserved a room at Nara Ryokan in Tsuruoka (down the main street away from the station, tel. 0235-22-1202) with simple tatami beds and western style bathrooms and a very kind landlady.
To get there i had to change trains at Niigata a middle sized town at the japanese sea.Having stayed on Honshu for some days now, i hoped to get to the seaside and taste some fresh fish. Unfortunately, i didnt come farther than to Shianano river delta, when it became already time to return and not miss my train.Still thinking the european way, i thought, where there is a nice view and good atmosphere, there must be some restaurant or at least a tea- or coffehouse. But the only thing that caught my eye was a big convention center. There, i said to myself, there i must get something to eat.
In vain.

Actually there where some buisiness folks sitting around tables on a beautiful terrace, but what they were drinking from, were oneway bottles and they had brought their bento with them.
Quite disappointed i went back out the the roadside, passing by a big storage hall.And thats where i noticed some flags with the character for fish. So just out of curiosity i stumbled into the open hall, where my eyes instantly got caught by the view of a large grill and tasty seafood roasting over burning wood. But they would only sell it starting from four o'clock, when i would be already continuing for Tsuruoka.

Now having the delicious goods right under my nose, i simply couldnt turn around and go away. So i told them my situation and begged them to make an excemption. They did. And luckily I carried my catch back to the Shinano where I had my lunch, just the way i had hoped it to be.

Keine Kommentare: