Samstag, 2. Februar 2008

Far from Tokyo...

Entering the half cargo half passenger ferry in the dark, i had the chance to watch the dawn (sun didnt really break through) on open sea. Arrived at around ten o'clock in Ishigaki-City, 2200km away from Tokyo and already close to Taiwan. I left my luggage at the somewhat shabby but internet-equipped Rakutenya, went straight on to Taketomi-Jima, a small island just close to Ishigaki, where a traditional village has been preserved and is a major tourist destination now. Once more unpredictable rain didnt keep me off the beaches, which were deserted until i arrived. Met a bunch of friendly people today.

I think I understand now, what irritated me first, as people rather say "Nippon" than "Nihon", the first being considered carrying a rather nationalistic undertone and which i didnt hear so far except from right-wing-car-mounted speakers. I first thought it to be such a nationalist turn, but obviously it is more a way how people are expressing their cultural distance from Japanese main islands. Like during a conversation over some delicious grilled fish today: "You know, this is Japan. But this is Ryuu-Kyu... It was Ryuu-Kyu."

Ishigaki-Fotos

Finally I updated my maps:

Größere Kartenansicht

Keine Kommentare: