Sonntag, 10. Februar 2008

Leaving the Ryu-Kyu realm

I only spent one full day in Naha, which is a nice middle size town, if it wasn't for the circulation, which is horrible. But strolling along the backroads is always a fun thing in Japan. I did some sightseing, like Tsuruba Pottery district, Shuri-Castle and the Budokan. I hoped to go to the wartime Naval headquater too, but an incredibly lousy busservice including uninformed busdrivers (certainly unique in all Japan) prevented me from that.
Okinawa main island also serves as the base for US-army troops, one full day spent in the city, i saw nothing of any GIs, the bases all being up north. Of course that didn't keep locals from taking me for an American, which got me several frosty non-welcomes in shops and restaurants. But certainly no way for a Japanese (even though Ryu-Kyuan) to resist japanese politeness, so until leaving the atmosphere had got friendly all the time.

What I actually witnessed of US-army presence in Naha, were several overflights of fight jets directly over the city and at low height, making even more noise than all the cars on a major road together. What i got out of an embarressed shopkeeper, is that those flights seem to be rahter regular. The following day has one more long ferry ride (25h), and one more early morning leave, arrgh! The next morning will be Kagoshima, on the volcano island Kyushuu.

Naha Fotos

1 Kommentar:

Ninja hat gesagt…

It's the great wall of Chi.. I mean, Japan! Looks cool!
I don't think I'll be back in Japan for a while even though I would like to. Next time I'll go somewhere else, probably Australia. Need some nice weather!